Artificial blood circulation separation
General information for patients
Open heart surgery is one of the most complicated and lifesaving kinds of surgical interventions. It may become urgent for anybody, at any moment, regardless of age and sex.
Depending on complexity of an open heart operation its duration may vary from several minutes up to hours.
Most cardio-surgical operations are not possible without a supply of an artificial blood circulation (cardiopulmonary bypass circulation), which is provided using the heart-lung machine (cardiopulmonary bypass machine).
Highly-qualified stuff who is responsible for a cardiopulmonary bypass circulation procedure – are perfusiologists.
Perfusiologists support the vital functions of the patient’s body during the main stage of a surgical intervention, when the heart is stopped, and the artificial respiration is off or in case if the heart is working and additional supply by artificial blood circulation is required.
During cardio-surgical operations, the perfusiologist operates a cardiopulmonary bypass machine (“artificial lung / heart” machine) and a variety of additional devices to maintain and control functions such as cardiac output, blood pressure, blood supply (perfusion) of organs, liquid-electrolyte balance, lung function and other, life-sustaining human body, while the surgeon is proceeding an operation.
The perfusiologist controls and corrects: changes in the “acid-base” balance and total blood composition, physiology and function of the brain, maintains blood in a liquid state (full control over possible thrombosis), body temperature and so on, using the necessary actions, technologies and preparations to maintain a stable state patient. Together with the anesthesiologist, for the time of artificial circulation, he supports the patient in anesthesia. Auto-transfusion machines used in many types of surgical procedures to collect lost blood and return this blood to the patient after washing and processing are also serviced by specialists in artificial circulation.
Moreover, special attention is paid to protecting the patient’s heart, the perfusiologist delivers to the cardiac muscle a pharmacologically balanced solution (salt or blood cardioplegia) that cools it and electrically “arrests” to protect against damage. This gives the necessary time for the surgeon to perform the operation.
Department of Cardiopulmonary Bypass Circulation
- Our department provides the highest and most up-to-date support for the life of the patient’s body, by performing artificial blood circulation, in the process of cardiosurgical interventions on the open heart, at any level of complexity.
- We represent the best experience and knowledge of the peculiarities of performing cardiopulmonary bypass circulation during operations, in complex patients, at high risk: with a cardiac output fraction of less than 20%, with concomitant pathologies (severe liver damage, kidney failure, stroke, after chemotherapy, others); newborns and the elderly (70 – 90 years)
- We provide full-fledged protection of myocardium of the heart, for the time of complete cardiac arrest (all the way to a full correction of cardiac pathology)
- We provide full protection of brain functions, during any operation, including patients with cerebral circulation disorders
- Provide artificial blood supply (cerebral perfusion) of the brain and cold defense (deep hypothermia) of the entire body, patients with pathologies (exfoliating aneurysms of the ascending and descending aortic sections), in which the complete stopping of one’s own and artificial circulatory circulation (circulatory arrest) .
- We use the blood-saving techniques of artificial blood circulation. We have a full-fledged program for babies to conserve and use their own umbilical cord blood for surgery.
- Our department has modern equipment for: carrying out patient-safe artificial circulation; preservation of cells of their own blood during blood loss; constant monitoring of biochemical blood parameters; separate full-fledged monitoring (in real time) by oxygenation of the brain; prolonged artificial circulation – ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation), with severe pulmonary or cardiac failure.
- We collect the world-wide knowledge in the field of modern perfusion – cardiopulmonary bypass circulation and are constantly evolving.